2 minutes to read
If you followed this blog for a longer time you might have noticed that this blog was running on WordPress and that it wasn’t the quickest website. To take some management tasks away and to speed up my blog I decided to move from WordPress to Jekyll.
Jekyll is a static website generator using Markdown language to write the content.
It took quite some time to be honest to migrate from WordPress to Jekyll, as I did the migration completely manual. Meaning I needed to transfor all posts and pages I wanted to keep from WordPress to Markdown language, with ‘only’ 18 posts I thought this might be quicker then trying all different kind of plugins in WordPress to assist me with this.
Another thing to consider is of course the look and feel of the website. I used a template for this that suited my wishes.
So let’s have a look how the migration resulted in speed, which is ofcourse very important if you want others to read your blog. As you can see in the picture below, which shows results from the old website and the new one running (temporarly) on GitHub Pages and running on Azure Static Web Apps, the new website is a lot quicker! I used GTmetrics for the tests between the websites.
I also used Pingdom tools to see how the migration would make the website quicker. Here you can see that there are some things that can be done to speed up the website even more. So I decided to host the website on Azure Static Web Apps, to make some additional changes. Here you see only the difference between the old WordPress website and the website on Azure Static Web Apps.
As you can see there is already quite some improvmet made, from performance grade, load time and number of requests.
Azure Static Web Apps
As mentioned before, this website is now hosted on Azure Static Web Apps. Now I have control over thinks like cache control and gzip, as you can set those kind of things in your ‘staticwebapp.config.json.’